The people of Zimbabwe are hungry; thousands are dying. The very old and the very young are most vulnerable.
Chronic malnutrition is endemic throughout the country. The reasons for this scandal are twofold: persistent government incompetence and gross corruption.
This disaster is compounded by drought, 18-hour power cuts and rampant inflation.
- The price of butter has risen by 140%
- The price of porridge oats has risen by 150%
- The price of carrots has risen by 300%.
It’s beyond desperate for like Harry*, 72. Until recently, he slept in the back of his ancient van anywhere he could. Once an engineer, Harry’s is a familiar tale: his pension and savings stolen by the government. When his work dried up, Harry had to move into his car; it was that or the streets. Harry was terrified by last year’s political violence. He has now moved into a care home paid for by ZANE.
ZANE urgently needs to raise funds to secure Harry’s future at the home and to provide food and medicine to assist hundreds of desperate pensioners, all with similar tales of despair.
Please help ZANE to help people like Harry.
“Without ZANE’s support and loving care I couldn’t survive.”
*names have been changed on grounds of security
Reasons To Support Zane
1. ZANE provides aid, comfort, and support to 1,800 impoverished pensioners with nowhere else to turn. Only those genuinely in need of assistance receive it.
2. Donors can choose which area of ZANE’s work they wish to support.
3. ZANE was the Telegraph Group Overseas Charity of the year.
4. ZANE is looking after around 600 aged and frail veterans and their widows. These people bought for the crown in WW2, Malaya, Korea, and Aden. Without ZANE, they would be living with insufficient food and no healthcare.
5. ZANE runs education programmes in the high-density areas assisting women and children living in extreme poverty.
6. ZANE funded the first clubfoot correction programme in Zimbabwe. Eleven treatment centres have been established and over 3,800 children have received treatment to date.
7. ZANE funds the provision of prosthetic limbs for victims of landmine explosions and treatment for people with hearing loss.
8. ZANE’s funds are subject to rigorous audit and ZANE is proud that since its foundation it has never lost money to collapsed banks, middlemen or corruption.
9. An independent consultancy reviewed ZANE and the report stated:
“The charity thrives on its responsiveness, flexibility and lack of bureaucracy. Operationally ZANE is frugal, focused and effective in delivering aid to the needy.”
Please help the people of Zimbabwe to get vital aid and support.